Blood Donor Program
London Regional Veterinary Emergency and Referral Hospital is proud to run a Canine Blood Donor Program. The Hospital uses canine blood products to help canine patients admitted into our care for a variety of medical and surgical procedures, traumas and diseases.
A donation from one dog can help save the lives of two other dogs. Our Hospital currently has volunteer donor dogs registered in the Blood Donor Program with each donor eligible to donate every 8-12 weeks. We are very thankful to our volunteer donor dogs and their families, without them this program would not exist.
Canine Blood Donor Requirements
- Healthy and good temperament
- Between 1 and 6 years of age (donors are retired at 8 years old)
- Current Vaccinations (vaccine certificate and medical records will be required prior to first donation)
- Spayed or Neutered
- Weighs 25kg (55lbs) or more (in healthy body condition, not obese or underweight)
- Not on any medications and free of dental disease
What happens during a donation?
- Prior to each donation, a physical examination is performed and a small blood sample is collected to test for anemia
- Volunteer blood donor is placed on a table, lying on their side
- A small area on the neck is clipped and prepped for the collection
- Collection process begins, the blood is collected from the jugular vein (collection may take 5-10 minutes)
- After collection is completed, a light pressure bandage is placed on the neck (this bandage may be removed once you are home
- A food reward is given to our volunteer donor to let them know how grateful we are for their donation
How blood donations save pets
- Each unit of blood collected can help save the lives of 2 dogs
- Blood products can be used to treat a number of conditions such as:
- Anemia and bleeding disorders
- Blood loss due to trauma, illness and surgery
- Heat Stroke
If you and your dog are interested in participating in the Volunteer Blood Donor Program, please Complete Online Application or call the hospital at (519)432-3300 for more details.